Saturday, November 29, 2008

Cross Country Travels

This coming spring we will be traveling to North Carolina for my last internship. We will be driving cross country twice and want to make a vacation out of our drive. We are looking for fun/interesting/crazy/etc places to stop along the way. Since we have a lot of friends who have been in many diverse places, we are hoping people will give us ideas. I am looking through each states travel brochures and am starting to make a plan. On our way there we plan to drive I-70 in late February. We will be coming back via I-80 late April. If anyone has fun ideas for stops along those routes we would like to hear about it. Or if you recommend a different route / detours let us know.
Thanks
The states we will be crossing through are:
To NC: I-70 Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois. I-24(into Georgia) Kentucky, Tennessee From NC: Nebraska, Wyoming
Also, if you have any ideas for weekends while we are in NC we would like your ideas. States we are interested in are NC, SC, Georgia, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Virginia.

3 comments:

Ken and Amy said...

Oh, you must stop at the best bed and breakfast around.....The Pollary Bed & Breakfast!!! We would love it!!

We stopped at the St. Louis Zoo - it's FREE and the kids loved to get out of the car when we traveled cross country.

Ken and Amy said...

Colorado Springs is our home. 1 hour south of Denver. You are welcome to stay. We hope it fits into your plans.

We are coming to SLC for New Years, so we'll have to get together and give you our tips about driving through Nebraska & Kansas! I'll just give you a hint.....they are both long and BORING!!!

Unknown said...

Okay, so my idea for a fun stop along the way is much along the same lines as Ken & Amy's...stop at our house in Cincinnati. Yeah, I know, I know, you're not driving through Ohio, but Cincinnati is just over the river from Kentucky. We'd love to show you the sites around town. At the very least, it would be a free place to crash and eat breakfast. :)

I figure you've already planned to stop at some of the Church sites, but Council Bluffs/Winter Quarters is a great stretch-your-legs break from that long, boring expanse of Iowa & Nebraska.

Nauvoo and Carthage aren't exactly on the way, but they're not all that far out of the way either.

If I come up with any other good ideas, I'll let you know.