Friday, October 24, 2008

Recipes!

So I'm inventing my own tag. I am desperately in need of some new recipes, and I figured this was a good way to get them. So, here's how it's going to work. I'm going to post a recipe I make often and that my family likes. One that doesn't have any real crazy ingredients, and is somewhat healthy (hey, it's not chicken enchiladas or something like that). Then I'll tag three people who will do the same, and I can check their blogs to get a new fun recipe. So here it goes, I hope it works!

Dilly Chicken

1 Pkg Chicken Gravy Mix
1Cup Water
1/2 tsp Dill Weed (I buy fresh dill, but dried works great too!)
1 Tbs Butter (optional)
1 lbs Chicken
1/2 lbs Mushrooms
1/2 Cup Sour Cream (optional)
Rice

Combine gravy mix, water and Dill in a bowl. Set aside. If you use fresh dill, use more then recipe calls for as it's not as potent as the dried variety.
Melt butter in skillet, brown chicken on both sides. (or you could use fat free cooking spray!)
Add mushrooms and gravy mixture to skillet, cover and simmer 10 min, or until chicken is cooked through.
Remove from heat, stir in Sour Cream until blended. (It's really yummy with the sour cream, but it's also good without it if your watching fat content)
Serve over rice.

My family really like this recipe, I promise it's not as strange as it sounds. We like the sauce on the rice so much that I usually double the sauce. Hope you enjoy!!

I Tag-Amy, Rachel, and Jenny

Ok, now for something not good for you :) Do not proceed unless you want to cook the best (and easiest) apple pie this Thanksgiving!

The Best Apple Pie

Crust:

1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 c salad oil ( I use canola oil)

Mix until well blended then pat into a pie tin. Do not roll out.

Filling:
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp flour
4 - 6 cups apples
3/4 cup sugar or more

Combine ingredients & toss lightly. Put into unbaked shell.

Topping: 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar

Combine with fingers & sprinkle over pie. Place pie in a brown paper sack. Fold sack shut or staple. NO PEEKING

Bake 350 F for 1 hour 45 minutes

Before baking
After!
No pie crust to deal with, and because it cooks so long the apples are so soft and yummy. Don't worry about the brown paper sack burning, it works out perfectly!

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

I am not a big pie fan - especially apple pie. But when Tiffany makes this recepie I go back for seconds. Also, the chicken recepie is good. Tiffany is a great cook.

Tiffany said...

Editors note: that last comment is from Brian.

Unknown said...

Tiffany, did you tag 3 people? :) I just didn't notice if you did. Anyways, those look great!

Jenny said...

What a fun tag. I'll work on it later. I saw your comment about Halloween. Sounds awesome!

Royce's said...

oooh! Yum! Good idea, I will think of something. Does mac and cheese count? Here is the new address for our blog rollingwiththeroyces.blogspot.com

Ken and Amy said...

YUM! We were just talking about having a pie bake-off with my family for T-giving. Your apple pie looks like a winner!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I didn't know if I was the right Amy for your tag, but I thought I'd share with you a Pollary favorite dinner. It is from Lynette, but I modified it to make it easier and it tastes just the same!

Bacon Wrapped Chicken - Crock Pot style!
4 chicken breasts - cut in half to make 8 small servings
8 slices of bacon, uncooked
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. sour cream
1 pkg Carl Budding sliced beef
Rice

Instructions:
Line crockpot with beef. Mix sour cream and soup together and set aside. Wrap each chicken breast with a slice of bacon. Arrange chicken on top of beef and pour sour cream/soup mixture on top. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with rice

Easy and very delicious! Enjoy!

Tiffany said...

Fantastic! Thanks Amy!

Corinne said...

Ok you didn;t tage me but I have a winner of a recipe so easy and Burke would have me make it once a week!!! We like it best served with rice pilaf and fresh steamed brocolli


Southern Style Creamy Apricot Chicken
I half this recipe for our family of four

12 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 ½ cup apricot preserves
1 ½ cup sour cream
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
LOTS of salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Arrange the chicken pieces in a single layer in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center, and juices run clear.
3. While the chicken is cooking, stir together the apricot preserves, sour cream, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. When the chicken is done, remove from the oven, and pour sauce over the top. Return to the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and hot.