Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Is it Worth it to You?

Are all grocery stores created equal?? Before I moved to sugar house I would have said yes. That is before I became addicted to Dans, the grocery store that always gave Kyler a balloon and free cookie, and even delivered gifts to my door about twice a year. I knew their produce was a bit more expensive, but Kyler got a balloon!

Anyway, I have had Dans withdrawals ever since we've moved from that area, and have now gotten use to the regular grind of the grocery store...and now I've discovered Publix. Sigh
It just happens to be the store closest to our house, and I love it. Here's why.
  • There is always someone in the produce area. Kyler almost always gets a free banana, orange, or apple, and I have someone to ask questions like is there a difference between bell peppers and sweet peppers.
  • A few times a week they have this recipe station that has a recipe to try and then a bag with the all the ingredients and the recipe inside.
  • Kyler always gets a balloon with a cute toy weight
  • The checkers actually remember Kylers name
  • They insist on helping me out to my car, which I though was a little strange at first. But now that Kyler is getting heavier and harder to carry since my belly is getting bigger, I LOVE It! Someone loads all my groceries in the car while I get Kyler buckled and make sure the prices on my receipt are right. Then as that wonderful helper walks away with my cart they always thank me for shopping at Publix.

So my question is...is it worth it??? I know the store is more expensive then it's competitors. I know I'd save a few bucks if I go to walmart, where I can't ever find anything and the closest associate are the checkers. But shouldn't I expect more from my grocery store??? What do you think?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally love this! I am the same way about the Provo Macey's. I LOVE it there because the kids can get a balloon, a free cookie from the bakery, and then at the check stand they get a smarties. Same thing as you about the produce section, there is always someone there to ask questions, and they give free banana's. Love it. Totally worth it in my mind. My kids are better there than they are at WalMart (or other grocery stores) and that just makes life 10 times easier! :) Totally worth it.

Teresa said...

great post Tiffany. It is a good reminder for so many of us that work in a public position that it is customer service that makes a difference.

beth said...

It sounds awesome and totally worth it. I've shopped there a few times while visiting Florida. If it helps, check out www.moneysavingmom.com where she frequently advertises coupons or great sales at Publix!

bella utahan said...

so very worth it! I think that extra service is worth the penny!

Jayne Ekins said...

Looks like the consensus is in the unanimous. Totally worth it! Still going through Dan's withdrawals myself... haven't quite found a suitable replacement yet. In addition to all the things you listed, I loved that we could all jump in the stroller and WALK there to go for a mid-week grocery run. Perfect way to fill a couple of hours in the afternoon. And who can forget the $0.25 donuts after 5:00. Man, I miss that place! And we miss you guys too! Love seeing glimpses into the adventure that you're on.

Amy said...

You know I think it's totally worth it...having become completely addicted to Dan's myself. Sure, you can go to Wal-Mart, get cheap products, and no service. Or you can go to Dan's (or Publix?), get higher quality items and excellent service. I'll pay a little more to be treated like a valued customer.