Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Inspiration

So I have been inspired by many of my friends by blog and facebook to eat better and work out more. For some reason, when I know that other people are sacrificing to spend the time to exercise or are doing more to eat right it makes it easier for me to do so also. In this quest to eat better I have found it incredibly difficult to find good low fat recipes that I can feed my family. SOO in an effort to inspire others and help make it easier for you to find low fat recipes I'm going to occasionally post the low fat recipes we have tried and liked. Keep in mind these aren't chicken enchiladas, or grilled cheese sandwiches, but they are "make agains" for us in our effort to be healthy. In turn if you use the recipe and like it, and are inspired to try some recipes of your own and like them, I'd love to get some recipes in return. Here goes!

Mango Chutney Chicken

1 ripe mango seeded peeled and sliced
1/4 cup craisins
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 Tbs Cider Vinegar
2 Tbs Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp crushed mustard seed
1/8 tsp salt
1 lb Boneless skinless chicken
1 tsp five-spice

In medium saucepan combine half of the mango slices, the craisins, green onions, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seed, and salt. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer covered for 5 minutes. Remove the saucepan from heat.

Meanwhile chop the remaining mango slices, set aside. Rub both sides of the chicken with five-spice powder. Grill Chicken until no longer pink int the middle.

To serve stir the chopped mango into cooked mango mixture, serve on top of chicken.

Nutrition facts per serving:
205 cal
6 g Fat
2 g fiber
17 g protein

We used a fresh mango because I happened to find one at the store but you can also find canned mango these days in the produce section.

Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I want to have dinner at your house! That looks SOOO yummy!

bella utahan said...

I would love to try this, what is 5spice?? I have never heard of it.

Tiffany said...

You can find it at the grocery store, it's a combo spice that has anise, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, and ginger in it. If you like anise you'll like it :)