Saturday, February 21, 2009

Day 2 of our Trip Across the Country

Kyler slept till 7:30 (ahhh!!! angels sing), so we were all awake and ready to start another day. We had cold cereal in the room, packed the car and headed to Denver. The drive through the Rockie Mountains was beautiful, lots of fresh snow, and clear blue skies. I wanted to get a picture, but after I took this one of Kyler I must have misplaced my camera.

It was a beautiful drive. I am glad we had good weather. It would have been a nightmare if we were driving in a storm. We have been blessed with good weather, a good car, and a good kid. He has done well with the driving. Let's hope it stays that way. ---Brian
Don't worry I eventually found it. Here is the Denver sky line.
We met my cousin Ken and his family outside the Denver mint. The Denver mint is the only place west of the Mississippi to make coins that are actually in circulation. We took a tour and learned all kinds of nifty tid bits of information. You can't take ANYTHING in with you, including strollers, purses, phones, camera etc..so I only have a picture of the outside of the building.
The Mint was a fun place to tour. It was fun to learn about and see the process of making coins. It makes me want to be a numistmatist. The day we were there they were making pennies. Did you know it costs 1.8 cents to make a penny. We are losing millions of dollars to produce that little coin. Also the machines can make about 13 coins per second. I havn't done the math again but I think they said it was a million coins each day. Thats Nuts!!! ---Brian

On our way to Colorado Springs, we stopped to see the Denver Temple. It sure reminded me of the Jordan River Temple. The kids got out and ran around for a while. I kept Kyler in his seat because trying to get him back in it after the mint was a fiasco :)

We caught a glimpse of ship rock also.

We ended the day at Ken and Amy's house, with a wonderful home cooked meal, and warm comfortable beds. Amy has been the perfect host, she thought of everything, from a pack and play all set up and ready, extra blankets on the bed, wash cloths, and even shampoo and conditioner in our shower. We haven't wanted for anything. We are excited to post about day 3, we had a great time running around Colorado Springs.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

What fun experiences you guys are getting to have!

Amy said...

We miss you already and Tanner went looking around the house trying to find Kyler, his little buddy! Thanks for making us a stop on your way back East.

Moab or bust, right?

Ostler & Co. said...

tiffany . . . i thought you were leaving in march!!! i didn't know that you are on your way already! how exciting!!! i have the moving bug so can't wait to hear about you many adventures!!!

Amy said...

Like Lianna, I didn't know you'd left already! I like the posts about Colorado since that's where I'm from. I'm looking forward to Day 3...