Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Success!!

Going to the grocery store has been more and more of a nightmare lately. Yes I know I only have one child, but Kyler can be a handful. He's decided he doesn't like sitting in the cart anymore, and he hates holding my hand, so a 5 min stop at the store usually turns into a 30 min hunt for Kyler. His newest antic is standing up in the cart (where he's suppose to be sitting) and then when I come to sit him down he throws his arms around my neck and squeezes. I'm pretty much helpless, and he loves it.

Needless to say, I'd had enough, so yesterday I decided we were going to the store for just a few things and he was going to stay sitting the entire time...no matter what. I was good to my word, and Kyler let me know he hated it. He SCREAMED the entire time. Poor thing had puffy eyes and a runny nose and I'm sure I looked like a tyrant of a mother. But today when we went to the store, he started to pull his foot up, I calmly said "Kyler, sit" and he did...the ENTIRE TIME! No fussing, crying, whining, or other antics. SUCCESS!

I'm sure he'll test me again, but even just today was worth it!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I am a wimp with going to the store with kids. I am getting better at it, but it took me a long time to be willing to even consider it. On the other hand, Andy has always been great about taking the kids on errands. Anyway, congrats on your success - I totally get it - even with only one child.

Ken and Amy said...

Way to be STRONG! It's hard not to bend when your in public with a screaming kid. My secret to grocery shopping.....the free cookie for kids at the bakery. Just ask and they will give you one. The only down side to that secret is Tanner now expects a cookie every time we go and starts asking for one when we pull up in the parking lot! Ken doesn't approve of my secret, but hey you gotta do what ya gotta do to insure quiet happy kids in the grocery store!

Amy said...

Yay for success! Good for you for being firm...after all, it's for his safety and your sanity, so it's a good thing!

Corinne said...

Way to go!!! What a good reminder that with the right amount of dedication from us our kids can learn proper behavior. You are a great Mom!!